October 15, 2009

Phonetikana (カタカナフォント-フォネチカナ)

{characters from the phonetikana typeface}

{UNIQLO in japanese is pronounced 'yoo nee koo roh'
above are the four characters in phonetikana.}

{Big Apple}

{Doki Doki-Japanese for the ‘sound of my beating heart’}

Driven by trips to Japan and continual frustration at being unable to read the language, Michael Johnson and his team at johnson banks have been trying to design a Katakana typeface (カタカナフォント) that has English phonetic sounds embedded: phonetikana. I think it's an interesting idea. Now my husband can pronounce something even though he already forgot all the Katakana he'd learned...

1 comment:

  1. just a note to tell you my twitter got hacked. I thought you my have realized since you followed the page. Found you all via the new site, hope you got my request so we can all stay in touch

    dallas
    http://dillydallas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete